Thursday, November 09, 2006

Can't communicate enough

I was asked the other day what the greatest challenge of being an executive director of a small, nonprofit service organization is. I paused; giving the professorial look that says 'prepare yourself for something truly packed with wisdom.' I actually was stalling to sift through the myriad of challenges any small nonprofit faces, particularly one that works at trying to build consensus among over 100 different organizations of all various types and sizes. Which challenge will make me sound knowledgeable? No, it’s not about you, Jim. Sorry, stream of conscious there. Challenges are organic as it does sometimes depend on what day you ask someone this question. In the arts community, we all are short on resources, whether human or financial no matter the budget size, so I felt that challenge is overstating the obvious. So, I said that my biggest challenge is education. O.K., yes I could be smarter, but not that education (I am working on 'gettin some learnin' through the MBA at Rollins). By education, I mean telling all of you, those we serve, what is going on whether good or bad, whether small or large. Once we have chosen what to do based on community needs (what you tell us) and what we can do well (knowing our limitations), how do we communicate effectively to so many organizations and individuals to make sure what we are doing can have the greatest impact?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The majority of communicating, Jim, is listening. You can't disregard your community's needs if they seem overwhelming or negative. They are still needs. And the needs need servicing.